вторник, 27 мая 2014 г.

Reading for Studying English: Bedtime Vocabulary with The Land of Nod by Robert Louis Stevenson (+ video)


Sleepy_time


Hello,dear readers !
Today we are going to learn bedtime vocabulary. But first of all, let's listen to this marvelous poem:


Did you like it? I'm sure,you did. Don't worry if you couldn't understand all the poem. We'll read it later and I'll explain you some of new words.
Let's start!





English language has a lot of words to express different nuances of sleeping. Here they are:

The Land of Nod  -  people nod in agreement, but a second meaning of the word is falling asleep, so this phrase means The land of dream.
Dream - something that you experience in your mind while you are sleeping. A dream in which frightening things happen is called a bad dream or a nightmare
Bedtime- the time you usually go to bed
Darkness – night: darkness falls

The list of sleep synonyms is too long to complete here,and you can see some of them below:


  •  doze off- to start to sleep, especially during the day and without intending to.
  • drift off- to start to sleep
  • doze-  to sleep for a short time, especially during the day.
  • nap- to sleep for a short period of time, usually during the day
  • drowse -  to be in a light sleep, or to feel that you are going to sleep
  • snooze-  to sleep for a short period of time, especially during the day
  • drop off-to start to sleep
  • go to sleep- to begin sleeping
 Snore - to breathe noisily while you sleep. 
Sleepyhead - used for referring to someone, especially a child, when they have been sleeping and have started to wake up. 

Dear learners! I'm sure, you'll find more interesting words in future.
 

Now , let's read the famous poem by Robert Louis Stevenson and enjoy the dream world ,created by this talented poet.


The Land of Nod 

by Robert Louis Stevenson


From breakfast on through all the day
At home among my friends I stay,
But every night I go abroad
Afar into the land of Nod.

All by myself I have to go,
With none to tell me what to do --
All alone beside the streams
And up the mountain-sides of dreams.

The strangest things are there for me,
Both things to eat and things to see,
And many frightening sights abroad
Till morning in the land of Nod.

Try as I like to find the way,
I never can get back by day,
Nor can remember plain and clear
The curious music that I hear.


.

 




Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий